What is the North Room Group?
The North Room Group (NRG) are MacLeods aged 18-30 years old who gather during Parliament for friendship and clanship. During the week before Parliament, the NRG volunteer to perform a service project on behalf of the Clan. During Parliament week, the NRG helps the Parliament Coordinator in a variety of tasks that keep things running smoothly. NRG share accommodation during both the service project week and Parliament week. NRG is a social time for all participants, giving them the chance to make bonds of friendship through Clan activities and their own outings.
Unfortunately, it has not been possible to organise an NRG service project in the week before Parliament 2023. We hope to be able to resume this important activity in subsequent years.
Logistics and costs
- Information below based on previous Parliament years.
- When you register for Parliament as a member of the NRG, your fee covers the cost of activities during both the NRG service project week and Parliament week.
- You are responsible for making and paying for your own travel arrangements between your home and Scotland/Dunvegan.
- The service project week before Parliament will not be all work. You should plan to arrive in Dunvegan on the Saturday, which gives NRG participants some time to orient themselves before beginning the task at hand. The service project is likely to involve conservation work, and will take place in either the morning or the afternoon, Monday through Friday. During the week, there will be opportunities to visit other recreational spots on Skye, to learn about Clan history and Castle operations, and there will be plenty of time to kick back and just enjoy each other’s company.
- During the NRG service project week, you do NOT need to pay for accommodation, local transportation, basic food costs, or any tools or supplies needed for the project.
- During Parliament week, you ARE responsible for the cost and preparation of your own meals, but group accommodation for the NRG IS provided.
- During both the service project week and Parliament week you will be expected to cover your own costs for social activities.
- Registration covers participation in ALL of the events during Parliament week, but you may be asked to help set up or run some of the events.
We know this may be a huge financial commitment for a young person, but if you are a MacLeod between the ages of 18 and 30 please consider becoming part of NRG in future Parliament years. The experience of attending Parliament and making friends from all over the world really can change “everything”. Financial assistance may be available from your national Clan MacLeod Society.
If you have any further questions about NRG or Clan MacLeod youth membership, please contact the Parliament Coordinator